F9 Launch Banner

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed May 7 06:11:26 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> So it looks like we need a banner for the front page of FPO for the F9
> launch. I think Ricky and tw2113 were working taking screenshots of F9
> for the website. Do you guys have those screenshots publicly accessible
> somewhere? I'm thinking we could use them for the banner.

Which size?

> Our tagline is: "Fedora 9. Make Waves."
>
> A couple of ideas for the main banner layout to correspond with this:
>
> 1) Have three screenshots that are all shined-up and blinged-up in three
> portal things with small, glowing pieces of sulphur surrounding them.
> Think three bottles of cold brew in ice, except the gleaming sulphur
> crystals are the ice and the screenshots are the brew. :) Pro: blingy,
> easy to do quickly. Con: Tagline is about waves, and this emphasizes
> sulphur.

The screenshots are places in some perspective planes, and they and the
sulphur crystals stay on a water surface, so have reflections and maybe
produce some waves.

> 2) Have three screenshots emerge from the water in a dark cave-like
> environment (ala
> http://www.simplenomics.com/wp-images/beowulf'sangelinajolie.jpg). The
> edges of the screenshots are glowing and cast bright reflections in the
> rippled water. Pro: fits with tagline, blingy. Con: Might take longer to
> do.

I think that may be a little to complicated to do and do not fit the
look of the rest of the page.

> If we keep the banner text-free (no translations to worry about) then we
> can just have the byline run along top the graphic in plaintext.

Yup, text-free, otherwise you will feel the pain of translations :p

> Whatchu think? Any other ideas?

I am for using a simple, clean image, more like your first proposal than
the second.

How about something like "people"? I think something like a photo of a
group of Fedora contributors, wearing Fedora t-shirts, maybe holding
Fedora CDs showing their happiness (partying?). I know it is hard to to,
as it require planning, access to people and props but lately I think
more and more about showing the faces of people behind Fedora.