mock and fc5/fe5 and comps pain

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Dec 13 21:21:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 17:14 -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2005, at 12:32 PM, seth vidal wrote:
>

> >> OK no problem.  So do you think this package should exist in the
> >> Extras
> >> tree, or a special case outside?
> >>

> > I'm thinking it should be like buildsys-macros, only really
> > existing in
> > the buildgroups repo.
> >
> > -sv
> >

> That's what I'm picturing, too.  Although I don't really like the
> idea of creating extra packages just to fake some dependencies...  By
> the way, is there a place where the changes to comps.xml are
> documented?  I'd like to know more about what's changing before I add
> (subtract?) any more from this conversation.

right now it's all in comps.py in yum cvs-HEAD.

however the short version, so far, is this.

There are 2 main elements:
   - category
   - group

groups can contain packages in modes 'mandatory, default, optional'.
  groups CANNOT contain other groups.

categories can contain other groups.

Things still up in the air:
  1. whether or not categories can or should contain single package
entries.
  2. How/what yum will do with the categories at all. Right now the only
thing using the categories is anaconda.

Both categories and groups are exposed via yum.comps right now. The
comps/groupInfo object in yum is signficantly simpler than it was
before.

hope this helps.
-sv