yum+mach2 for fedora-development tree pseudo-release

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Mar 1 07:45:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 20:37 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 18:03 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>> this mostly works like it should. I tested it on an fc3 system and a
>>rawhide system with some success.
>
>Oooh, pretty.  And a step in the (right) direction of getting to a
>working buildsystem.

A couple of minor issues:

yum will install file deps by:
 yum install /path/to/file/you/need

but it won't do virtual provides in that syntax

so 'yum install foo' when foo is not a package name doesn't do anything.
I compromised on this syntax by adding resolvedep. So you can do:
'yum resolvedep foo' which spits back 1 package that provides foo. Then
you can pass that output to yum install and you're on your way again.
That's going to require a bit more hacking I think to make it all work.
There are a fair number of virtual provides in packages that make some
of this not work.

I could easily add virtual provides support into 'yum install' in
cvs-HEAD and this problem goes away - I'm just wondering would it make
more sense to hack yum to make it comply with mach2 or to hack mach2 to
make it work with yum.

-sv