Build system ideas/requirements

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Mar 9 00:55:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 14:38 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> I have no objection to yum groupinstall, but in my opinion none of
> the
> current defined groups are suitable for a minimal buildroot.  There
> have
> been objections in the past to this with the opinion that the
> "Development" tools group and -devel packages should be assumed to be
> installed in this minimum buildroot.  However this is a bad
> assumption
> because the set of -devel packages has been arbitrary, and
> dependencies
> don't make sure that particular tools exist in the buildroot.

As seth has pointed out before, we don't have to use the existing comps
file, we can create our own groups, but in comps format.  That is the
real question, adding comps format support to the build system.

I agree with the rest about the minimal build environment, buildreqs for
the rest.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: