Build system ideas/requirements

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Mar 9 08:38:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Warren Togami wrote:

> seth vidal wrote:
>> Items for thoughts:
>>
>> 1. build system using comps.xml for chroot install definitions (base,
>> build, minimal) - it would make sense and we could leverage the
>> groupinstall/update/remove mechanism in yum.
>
> I have no objection to yum groupinstall, but in my opinion none of the
> current defined groups are suitable for a minimal buildroot.  There have been
> objections in the past to this with the opinion that the "Development" tools
> group and -devel packages should be assumed to be installed in this minimum
> buildroot.  However this is a bad assumption because the set of -devel
> packages has been arbitrary, and dependencies don't make sure that particular
> tools exist in the buildroot.
>
> For this reason none of the existing groups are suitable for the most
> important goal of the minimum buildroot: reproducible binary payloads.

Minimal buildroot isn't necessary for reproducible builds, a
*consistently* populated buildroot is. You'll get a consistent environment
by dropping in Base + Devel groups with yum groupinstall even with the
stock comps.xml.

Absolute bare minimum buildroot is a nice bonus in a way but by no means a
requirement for build system to be useful IMHO. Me thinks concentrating on
getting a *working build system, now* is at this point far more important
than playing "how minimal can you get"-games. Just my 5cents. :)

 	- Panu -