plague-server dying

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Oct 26 13:52:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 08:09 -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2005, at 8:02 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
> >
> > Hmm.  Can you try to run the python process under gdb?  Essentially:
> >
> > gdb /usr/bin/python
> > set args /usr/bin/plague-server -c /etc/plague/server/plague-
> > server.cfg ...
> > run
> >
> > Then just let it run for a while, and see where it segfaults.  It
> > would
> > also be helpful to install python-debuginfo and pyOpenSSL-debuginfo
> > too
> > so that the gdb backtrace is more useful.
> >
> > Come to think of it, are you using SSL in your buildsystem at all, and
> > if so, have you patched your copy of pyOpenSSL?  This is probably
> > something that should be documented :)  FC4 and rawhide are already
> > patched, but RHEL4 is most likely not patched.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> Yes, I am using SSL for builders and for users.  I haven't touched
> pyOpenSSL - could you direct me to the needed patch(es)?

Ok, that's probably the issue.  pyOpenSSL does not do proper Python
locking and such for certificate verification callbacks, and because
plague makes heavy use of threads, things fall over quite quickly.

You can get the patch here:

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/*checkout*/extras-buildsys/pyOpenSSL-threadsafe.patch?root=fedora

And you can find an SRPM for RHEL4 with the patch included here:

http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/pyOpenSSL/pyOpenSSL-0.6-1.p23.1.el4.src.rpm

Should be able to just rebuild that SRPM (if you have any problems with
that, don't hesitate to ask) and you'll be good to go.

Dan