Patch to store user info in different DB engines

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri Oct 28 22:56:09 UTC 2005

On Oct 28, 2005, at 4:41 PM, Chris Weyl wrote:

> On 10/28/05, Jeff Sheltren <sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu> wrote:
>
>> Here is a patch for user-manager.py to use DBManager for its database
>> access.  This allows user-manager.py to work with multiple db types.
>>

> I haven't had a chance to take a look at the patch yet, but does it
> provide for a way to keep the userdb & jobdb separate?  I'm thinking
> (and might be wrong here <grin>) that if it's easy to do, it might be
> useful to allow for, e.g, jobdb in mysql but userdb in sqlite,
> especially in terms of upgrades.  Maybe a flag, e.g. "job_db_engine"
> or somesuch in the server config, that if left out, defaults to the
> overall db being used.
>
>                                             -Chris

No it doesn't.  The idea was that all database information should be
stored in the same location.  Off the top of my head, I think that
using separate database types would complicate DBManager.py quite a
bit.  Currently it just assumes that everything is in the same DB, so
there would need to be extra checks to see which DB holds which
information, and then use the appropriate DB for each case.  In fact,
this would probably mean using two DBManager objects, one for jobs
and one for users (currently only one DBManager object is used by
plague-server).  I don't know if that is a bad or good thing, I just
think it is pretty complicated compared to the current situation.

I think the easier thing to do is to write a tool for extracting all
user info from sqlite in order to import it into mysql/pgsql.  I'll
try to work on that this weekend.

-Jeff