Kernel-Modules in the buildsys

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Feb 13 18:40:51 UTC 2006

Hi all!

The kernel-module discussion on fedora-extras list was quite successful
and we have a kernel-module scheme now where nobody complained loudly
(at least until now). Two examples that are based on the latest results
from the discussion are found in extras-cvs in the packages lirc-kmod
and thinkpad-kmod.

What we don't have yet: Support for the that kernel-module scheme in the
buildsystem. What's needed? Roughly this:

- we need to get the kernel-verrel to the spec-file/rpmbuild somehow
- we need to get the kernel-variants to the spec-file/rpmbuild somehow

Example: To rebuild lirc-kmod for the kernel 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 and
2.6.15-1.1831_FC4smp on i686 one would run this command with the current
scheme:

$ rpmbuild --rebuild lirc-kmod-0.8.0-2.2.6.15_1.1831_FC4.src.rpm
--define 'kver 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4' --define 'kvariants "" smp ' --target
i686

So guys, how to we teach that the buildsystem? Do we handle that in
mock? Or in plague? As a yum-plugin? I don't know plague and mock to
much, so any help/suggestions appreciated!

/me looks at the command and wonders why we use "kver" for kversion --
we either should use "kver" and "kvars" or "kversion" and "kvariants"