Kernel-Modules in the buildsys

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Mon Feb 13 19:00:50 UTC 2006

On 2/13/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> - we need to get the kernel-verrel to the spec-file/rpmbuild somehow
> - we need to get the kernel-variants to the spec-file/rpmbuild somehow
>
> Example: To rebuild lirc-kmod for the kernel 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 and
> 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4smp on i686 one would run this command with the current
> scheme:
>
> $ rpmbuild --rebuild lirc-kmod-0.8.0-2.2.6.15_1.1831_FC4.src.rpm
> --define 'kver 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4' --define 'kvariants "" smp ' --target
> i686
>
> So guys, how to we teach that the buildsystem? Do we handle that in
> mock? Or in plague? As a yum-plugin? I don't know plague and mock to
> much, so any help/suggestions appreciated!

One thing that leaps to mind -- and this may be a bit simplistic, or
covered over in fedora-extras, I'll readily admit -- but how about
embedding kver and kvariants in the spec file itself?  This would
require no tweaks to the buildsys (it would seem to me), and if %kver
is part of the release tag, it wouldn't involve tweaking that as well.

+ no tweaks to plague needed
+ everything to do this is in place already
- every time a new kernel is released, the spec would have to be
tweaked and a rebuild job submitted.
- every time a new version of the kernel module is released, see above

                       -Chris