mock issues on ia64 with LoadLibrary("libc.so.6")

Doug Chapman doug.chapman at hp.com
Wed Dec 19 20:49:47 UTC 2007

I am in the process of trying to build fedora on ia64.  I updated to the
latest mock today in order to get the new --copyin functionality which I
think will help with a lot of the dependency issues I am having (very
cool functionality by the way!).

However, I have found that other changes made at some point after
mock-0.7.6-1 breaks mock on ia64.

The problem is it tries to load the libc.so.6 library.  On ia64 this
does not exist since it uses libc.so.6.1 (FYI, that is the case both on
F8 and on RHEL5 for ia64).  This also concerns me since if the version
of the library changes mock will cease to work on other platforms as
well.

This bit of code is in both util.py and uid.py:

import ctypes
_libc = ctypes.cdll.LoadLibrary("libc.so.6")

If I change it to libc.so.6.1 on my ia64 system it works OK.  I tried
just specifying libc.so but python is very unhappy about that (I tried
that on x86_64 also and it is also unhappy with libc.so).

Does anybody have ideas on how we can make this more portable?

thanks,

- Doug