using pungi for custom installations

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jan 26 21:02:36 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 15:50, Remy Bohmer wrote:
> 1. The generated ISO image contains xorg RPM packages which I do not need.
> I want a text-only installation method (by using the serial console option
> of Anaconda), as we do not have a VGA display on our target. Is there an
> easy way to get rid of these xorg packages?

So right now, those are getting pulled in so that anaconda can build its
images for the install.  If you don't list say anaconda-runtime and anaconda
in your comps, it may still work, and you'll just only be able to do text
installs.  Right now I don't have separated a list of packages anaconda needs
to create its images vs a list of packages in the compose.

> 2. Currently only 1 ISO image is built with all packages in it. What I
> actually want is that 2 ISO's are being built: the 1st ISO containing the
> core installation (which almost never changes) with all boot and Anaconda
> stuff on it, and a 2nd ISO containing the frequently changing
> applications.(a predefined set of RPMs)
> Is there a way to split up the list of RPM's in a predefined way (not
> related to disc size) and that Anaconda during installation asks for the
> 2nd disc?

That is all done by anaconda-runtime's splittree.py, and what you're trying to
do doesn't sound all that accomplishable unfortunately.

> 3. Is there a easy way to get my own build kickstart file on the 1st ISO
> through the pungi framework, without the need of rebuilding the ISO files
> myself. (And to modify the isolinux configuration file to default load this
> kickstart file?)
>
> I hope you can help me by answering these questions...

There is a config option for releasenote files / packages.  See /usr/bin/pungi
You can treat a kickstart file as a release note file, and package it up into
a package you include in your spin.  As for altering isolinux, that you'll
have to figure out on your own.  However if you boot with "linux ks" it'll
hunt for a ks.cfg on the root of the CD you are booting with.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora