using pungi for custom installations

Jeroen Janssen jeroen.janssen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 22:10:38 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> So right now, those are getting pulled in so that anaconda can build its
> images for the install.  If you don't list say anaconda-runtime and anaconda
> in your comps, it may still work, and you'll just only be able to do text
> installs.  Right now I don't have separated a list of packages anaconda needs
> to create its images vs a list of packages in the compose.

Currently anaconda builds both a stage2.img (graphical) and a
minstg2.img (text) image.

As a first step would it possible to have anaconda just build the
minstg2.img (textonly) image depending on a commandline option?

I'm wondering what exactly pulls in the xorg packages. Is this
something gets pulled in because anaconda-runtime has dependencies to
xorg? So that would mean in order to build an iso without xorg would
need a custom anaconda-runtime package with different dependencies?

note: upd-instroot contains a list of all the needed packages that are
used during image creation.

> > 2. Currently only 1 ISO image is built with all packages in it. What I
> > actually want is that 2 ISO's are being built: the 1st ISO containing the
> > core installation (which almost never changes) with all boot and Anaconda
> > stuff on it, and a 2nd ISO containing the frequently changing
> > applications.(a predefined set of RPMs)
> > Is there a way to split up the list of RPM's in a predefined way (not
> > related to disc size) and that Anaconda during installation asks for the
> > 2nd disc?
>
> That is all done by anaconda-runtime's splittree.py, and what you're trying to
> do doesn't sound all that accomplishable unfortunately.

What exactly makes anaconda 'ask' for the 2nd disc?

Would it be possible to just generate a single CD with pungi and
"manually" generate a 2nd "application" ISO with a repository on it
that can be used during installation?
Then you could alter the pungi generated iso to let anaconda know it's
a 2disc installation.

Best regards,

Jeroen Janssen