pungi used to create CD that includes a kickstart file

Martin Steinmann msteinmann at bluesocket.com
Tue Oct 16 15:00:51 UTC 2007

>I think you can also add the file to the resulting iso image.
>it should be easier than changing the code (IMO)
>1. you have to mount the iso image somewhere `mount -o loop
>/path/to/isoimage /mount/dir`
>2. cp -rf /mount/dir /other/temp/dir
>3. cp kickstart.cfg /other/temp/dir
>4. umount /mount/dir
>5. mkisofs ...
>6. put iso on cd
>
>I'm not really sure how the mkisofs command goes.  but you can always
look >at the pungi
>code and see what is done there :)
>
>Be sure that the copy takes two hidden files that are at the root.

Joel

Many thanks for all the great suggestions - very helpful.

We actually have a fully automated build system that creates CDs
currently for RHEL4, RHEL5 and FC6. This is done by reverse engineering
starting with disk 1 of the official distribution. We then create a new
custom CD with a new repository, new metadata and we have to open and
change the stage2 image as well to change the look & feel during
installation. This is messy as you can imagine, but it works.

For F7 we were hoping we could use pungi, but the pungi development now
moved on to F8. Therefore, I don't think we will do an F7 based
appliance.

On F8 we were hoping pungi could do what we needed - pretty basic stuff
after all as most of it can be added as RPMs (except kickstart files and
modifications to files in the isolinux directory). I am not so keen
changing the pungi code as pungi is still under heavy development and
will therefore likely change. Therefore, we might choose your proposed
approach of modifying the CD that was created with pungi in the first
place. Still messy but slightly better than before.

Eventually we hope that there will be a tool to create appliances. After
all, just re-spinning Fedora or RHEL distributions is only fun the first
time, but provides little value unless it can be turned either into an
automated install or an appliance with custom look & feel, or both.

BTW: The project I am working on is at http://www.sipfoundry.org

--martin