pungi used to create CD that includes a kickstart file

Joel Andres Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 15:21:21 UTC 2007

Martin Steinmann wrote:
>> I think you can also add the file to the resulting iso image.
>> it should be easier than changing the code (IMO)
>> 1. you have to mount the iso image somewhere `mount -o loop
>> /path/to/isoimage /mount/dir`
>> 2. cp -rf /mount/dir /other/temp/dir
>> 3. cp kickstart.cfg /other/temp/dir
>> 4. umount /mount/dir
>> 5. mkisofs ...
>> 6. put iso on cd
>>
>> I'm not really sure how the mkisofs command goes.  but you can always
> look >at the pungi
>> code and see what is done there :)
>>
>> Be sure that the copy takes two hidden files that are at the root.
>>

> Joel
>
> Many thanks for all the great suggestions - very helpful.
>
> We actually have a fully automated build system that creates CDs
> currently for RHEL4, RHEL5 and FC6. This is done by reverse engineering
> starting with disk 1 of the official distribution. We then create a new
> custom CD with a new repository, new metadata and we have to open and
> change the stage2 image as well to change the look & feel during
> installation. This is messy as you can imagine, but it works.
>
> For F7 we were hoping we could use pungi, but the pungi development now
> moved on to F8. Therefore, I don't think we will do an F7 based
> appliance.
>
> On F8 we were hoping pungi could do what we needed - pretty basic stuff
> after all as most of it can be added as RPMs (except kickstart files and
> modifications to files in the isolinux directory). I am not so keen
> changing the pungi code as pungi is still under heavy development and
> will therefore likely change. Therefore, we might choose your proposed
> approach of modifying the CD that was created with pungi in the first
> place. Still messy but slightly better than before.
>
> Eventually we hope that there will be a tool to create appliances. After
> all, just re-spinning Fedora or RHEL distributions is only fun the first
> time, but provides little value unless it can be turned either into an
> automated install or an appliance with custom look & feel, or both.
>
> BTW: The project I am working on is at http://www.sipfoundry.org
>
> --martin
>

> --

There is also the fedora livecd to play with.
You can basically put together a bunch of apps and configure them in a
certain way.  When the livecd is created, you can boot it in pretty much any
computer to show off your stuff.
There is also revisor that tries to put pungi and livecd together into a
very user friendly interface.  It also has more funtionalities that I don't
know about :(

hope it helps.

--
Joel Andres Granados