Both a .buildstamp and .buildstamp_1 ?!?

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Mon Jan 28 15:08:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Joel Andres Granados wrote:

> This is kinda strange.  The buildstamp file gets created by mk-image
> (anaconda scripts) to create the buildstamp the mk-image script erases
> buildstamp and then creates a new file.  Additionally I could not find
> any trace of replacing the name of buildstamp with `buildstamp_$count`.

Strange it is. I haven't found any traces of buildstamp_$count neither.

Perhaps I should mention that we are using mksquashfs to append a few
files to minstg2.img. I'm certain that .buildstamp is not one of those,
but perhaps we are looking at some kind of mksquashfs bug.

> What are you using to make your tree?  on what is your distro based on,
> fedora, centos?  what versions?

Pungi, Fedora 8.

> I *think* what is happenning is that you are compossing on top of an
> already composed tree, and your compose tool does not want to replace
> the existing .buildstamp file, so it makes another with a similar name.
> I could be wrong though. In any case you should check the compose tool
> and the anconda scritps from the version you are using.

Another theory is that there's a name clash in /tmp. It seems like Pungi
and the other tools does not clean up its build directories. Instead, they
are left to tmpwatch, which has a 30 day limit by default. So we have
always have 30 directories of each in /tmp.

I've done another build now and it looks OK. Perhaps we just had bad luck
and hit the same sequence (pid?) number of an existing dir.

Regards,
---
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		http://www.cendio.se