Fedora-desktop-list Digest, Vol 6, Issue 11

Michael Knepher mknepher at bluethingy.com
Fri Aug 13 16:00:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 12:05 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:50:09 -0400
> > From: David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com>
> >
> > Currently Evolution 1.5.* stores its data (contacts, calendar, email
> > etc) below the ~/.evolution directory and in GConf, and makes various
> > assumptions about the layout of the ~/.evolution directory.  Evolution
> > could be changed to follow this proposal for "local contacts" (as
> > opposed to contacts found on e.g. a shared corporate LDAP database), but
> > it'd be non-trivial.
> >

> What? How do i transfer my mail that is currently in my evo folder? I
> dont want to loose it!
>
> Only thing kept in .evolution before was passwords and mailservers

The new Evolution will import all your old mail, contacts, calendar
items, etc., on first startup.

> Another point: Webbrowsing. Today FC uses moz - which has a nice engine
> etc. But Epiphany is still better integrated with Gnome (and no
> difference when talking HTML engine): Why not use this as the standard
> web-browser instead?

Check out some of the newer builds of mozilla - there's a lot of gtk2
integration going in that makes it fit in the desktop better appearance-
wise. Here's a screenshot showing mozilla using the gtk+2.4 file
chooser:
http://sayamindu.randomink.org/ramblings/images/mozilla_pango.png

> Only prob. as far as i can see, is that neither moz or epiphany has a
> user-friendly way to select which printer you want to use. Whic is...
> BAD!

For epiphany, it should be a fairly simple matter. I'm not sure what's
involved with getting mozilla/firefox to use the new print system.