GTK clipboard problems

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Dec 1 16:52:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 22:28 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Since around RH7.3, I remember gtk2 applications would sometimes be
> unable to copy & paste between each other after long runtimes within a
> GNOME session.  Sometimes it would take a week of using GNOME without
> relogging for this problem to manifest.  Copying from GTK2 to kedit and
> back to GTK2 would work, but not GTK2 to GTK2.  Select and middle-click
> would also fail.  Then *something* else I do on the desktop makes the
> behavior go away, and clipboard begins working properly again.
>
> Today using FC3, I this problem still exists today.
>
> Do other people experience this problem?
>
> Is anyone aware of an upstream bug tracking this issue that has more
> substance than my useless description above?

No, there is no upstream bug for this. (And I've never seen it (*))

If you track it down to something we'd have a prayer of debugging
(:-) please make sure to clearly distinguish

 - The clipboard
 - Middle button paste (primary selection)

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fclipboards_2dspec

May be useful.

Regards,
						Owen

(*) I have a vague memory of years ago seeing middle button paste
    stop working for some reason and having to track that down
    (it wasn't a GTK+ bug). But no hope of remembering what
    it was at this point.