Paring Down the Screensavers - RFC

Jens Knutson jensknutson at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 21:48:03 UTC 2004

--- Simon Perreault <nomis80 at nomis80.org> wrote:
> On February 19, 2004 14:42, Jens Knutson wrote:
> > Any box running Fedora that doesn't meet those
> > requirements will come practically to a *halt* when one of these
> >comes up.
>
> No it won't. Because the screensaver priority is set low (if it is
> not already, then it should be), the screensaver will run very slowly
but
> the rest of the system will not be hindered.

That's nice in theory, except I've watched it with my own eyes - a
reasonably fast, but non-3D-accelerated machine get extremely slow with
a 3D screensaver running.

Besides that, even if it didn't slow the system down, they still *look*
like crap unaccelerated, and thus, should go in their own package,
IMHO.

 - jck

=====
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief
requirements of life, when all that we need to make
us happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
 -- Albert Einstein