Screensavers in FC3

Will Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Tue Jul 13 13:56:03 UTC 2004

I vote for turning just blanking the screen and turning on "Display
Power Management" on video/monitor combinations that support it.
Blanking the screen will save the screen much more that any of the
screen savers. If people want to run screen savers for eye candy, fine.
However, for most situations it seems like the screen savers are just a
waste. Who is looking at the screen when they are sleeping? Also who
wants the screen saver to kick in and use the CPU when they are doing a
large build, e.g. GCC bootstrap?

I find myself always setting screen saver preferences for blanking the
screen and "Display Power management". There are financial incentives
for using the power management:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_pm_home_office

-Will