Default Application for RPM files

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Fri Jun 11 22:22:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 14:27, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 12:24, Mariano Draghi wrote:
> >
> > I believe it has to do with the fact that the "official" or "standard"
> > MIME/type for the RPM extension is "Real Media" something.
> > So at some point it was decided to leave the .rpm files without
> > asociation (an asociation with "Install Packages" would be non-standard,
> > and an asociation with Real Media Player would be a mistake in a
> > rpm-based distribution as FC2)
>
> That can't be right - we should be able to use sniffing anyhow, or at
> least associate the ".arch.rpm" extension if not plain ".rpm"
>
> Havoc

The Real Player .rpm MIME Type (according to the RealPlayer mozilla
plugin) is: audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin which means it's not "official"
or "standard", but is an extension.  Additionally, I have *never* seen
such a file in the wild, .ra and .ram, yes, but .rpm has always been an
application.
--
Shahms King <shahms at shahms.com>