Default Application for RPM files

Rob Lanphier robla at real.com
Fri Jun 11 22:59:15 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm cross-posting this to the player-dev at helixcommunity.org list so that
we catch the Helix Player/RealPlayer dev team.

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 15:22, Shahms King wrote:
> The Real Player .rpm MIME Type (according to the RealPlayer mozilla
> plugin) is: audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin which means it's not "official"
> or "standard", but is an extension.  Additionally, I have *never* seen
> such a file in the wild, .ra and .ram, yes, but .rpm has always been an
> application.

.rpm associated with RealPlayer was designed to be used in HTML <object>
and <embed> tags.  .rpm stood for "RealAudio Plugin Metafile" at the
time of its design in 1995.

I'm not sure if it's needed outside of that context to play all
presentations out there designed for RealPlayer.  The tricky part is
that if we've ever had a player that generally claimed the MIME type
(probably), that means that at least one misguided author has authored a
presentation that relies on that broader support (for example, putting
removing that support may make some presentations break.

Rob
--
Rob Lanphier, Development Support Manager - RealNetworks
Helix Community: http://helixcommunity.org