Idea: easier transition for newcomers from other DEs/OSes

dragoran drago01 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 12:03:18 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:

> Actually I think that pirut is far better and easier than just some
> setup.exe. Besides, you can download a rpm and double-click on it in
> nautilus, if you don't like pirut itself. Nevertheless, I think it's
> much more easier to just open applications list, check some apps you
> want to install/remove and apply the changes. What can be easier? In
> windows you are nearly unable to (un)install more than one app in one
> go. The only problems here are that linux apps are not so good known as
> their windows variants - that's one of the reasons why the group view is
> cool thing - some of the applications isn't in our repos - but thanks to
> community the number is lesser and lesser every now and then.

+1
> I just thought about setting some basic things, like panel layout,
> keyboard shortcuts and like - no app changes - with one ore two
> clicks...

well I installed fedora on some peoples boxes that where (and are still)
using windows and nobody complained about things like the panel layout.
what keyboard shortcuts? the only thing thats different in the default
config is that the super(windows) key does not open the menu.
but everything else is the same as in windows:
ctrl+c/x/v
alt+f4
alt+tab
etc.