F8 desktop features

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 01:26:08 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 19:15 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 07:11 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:40:13 +0530
> > Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > > god-mode is a awful name.
> >
> > It's a throwback to many ID games such as Doom and Quake, where
> > 'god-mode' meant that you could not be killed.

Yeah...it is silly though; just changed it in svn.

> Bah, but in this case, using god-mode kills(*) my classic panel setup,
> so it's at least a little bit misleading, don't you think?

It shouldn't overwrite the existing config; the code just adds new panel
configuration to GConf, then changes the default, effectively.

> (*): It did that the last time I tried it out and I probably won't try
> it out again unless somebody vouchsafes for it not treading over my
> carefully crafted configuration again. If you want me to try something
> out, I want to be sure that I can easily go back to what I had before if
> I don't like it(**).

"god-mode 0" should have reverted to the old config; however
bonobo-activation-server sometimes locks up during panel changes, and so
you may have to restart the session (and killall
bonobo-activation-server).

> (**): The benefit of the Bigboard menu learning what applications I like
> to use is much outweighed by its eating a good share of my screen real
> estate _permanently_.

Well, we have the "Minimize to panel" option, but it's not a very good
solution yet.  We'd talked about a design where it would minimize very
small, then slide out on top of apps, then go back when you launch an
app or something else.

> Be my heroes and tell me that my concerns will be addressed in the final
> version ;-).

I think so, yep.