Discussion about F7-KDE-LiveCD

Sebastian Vahl ml at deadbabylon.de
Thu Mar 1 20:59:23 UTC 2007

Hi!

I want to start a discussion about the package list on a possible
f7-kde-livecd. It would be much easier for me to test some
configurations when the direction is cleared. :)

So I've got some questions:

1. Configuration: Do we want (according to the gnome/desktop-livecd) a
base configuration and an "advanced" configuration? Of course only one
(the advanced) would be created and published. But having a standard
configuration would it make easier to change some things.

2. Browser/Email: Do we want Firefox and/or Evolution on the live-cd?
(Be aware that space is limited)

3. Do we want krusader and/or dolphin on the live-cd? In general:
Do we want duplications in the functionality of applications (not as
easy as it sounds; eg. amarok vs. noatun?

4. What about localisation? The kde-i18n-packages are not really slim.
So perhaps putting them on a live-dvd would be the better idea
(gnome/desktop-livecd is fully localized)

------

For comparison of sizes (the named packages are listed in
20-fedora-livecd-kde.conf and of course have dependencies):

a) A suggested base cd has the size of ~474 MB (here on i386)

Packages: chkconfig, xorg-x11-drivers, system-config-display,
vim-minimal pirut, setroubleshoot, system-config-rootpassword,
system-config-printer, alsa-utils, dejavu-lgc-fonts, arts, kdelibs,
kdebase, kdeadmin, kdeaccessibility, kdeartwork, kdebindings,
kdegraphics, kdenetwork, kdepim, knetworkmanager, k3b, kaffeine,
kpowersave

b) An "advanced" CD uses ~705 MB.

Packages: as in a) plus:
kdeartwork-icons, kdeedu, kdegames, kdetoys, kdeutils, akode, amarok,
beryl-kde, cups, digikam, digikamimageplugins, gnupg2, gpgme,
gstreamer-plugins-base, gstreamer-plugins-good, gstreamer-tools,
gtk-qt-engine, kmenu-gnome, koffice-suite, konversation, krusader,
ktorrent, pinentry-qt, twinkle, taskjuggler, samba-client

c) A localized cd with kde-i18n-* uses ~690MB.

Packages: chkconfig, xorg-x11-drivers, system-config-display,
vim-minimal, pirut, setroubleshoot, system-config-rootpassword,
alsa-utils, dejavu-lgc-fonts, kdelibs, kdebase, arts, kdeaccessibility,
kdeartwork, kdebindings, kdegraphics, kdenetwork, kdepim,
knetworkmanager

(I'm surely missed some usefull packages)
---

So the steps for the next time should be:

1. Decide about the packages that should definitely be there (as base
configuration (eg. kdenetwork: yes; kdegames: no)

2. Decide about the configuration for livecd-creator (eg.
20-fedora-livecd-kde.conf AND 30-fedora-livecd-kde-advanced.conf OR
only one configuration)

3. Decide about the addon packages. Not all from
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureFedoraKDE/PackageList
could be integrated into one cd.

4. Test the configurations on all archs (not sure if the size is the
same on x86_64 or ppc).

Of course, these things are all suggestions. :)

Will be happy about some feedback

Sebastian