Playing with Big Board

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Thu May 17 16:38:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 13:35 +0200, dragoran wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Colin Walters wrote:
> >
> >> Keep in mind that the big board is intended to be part of the larger
> >> online desktop mode, and I think Mugshot fits pretty well for someone
> >> who mostly uses online apps.
> >
> > I am thinking that if we are going to have big board by default on F8
> > the user experience should be better than or atleast comparable to
> > what we have already.
> it can be installed by default but not _enabled_ having a desktop that
> requires a net connection as default is a a very bad idea (and wrong too).

Online desktop will likely be a "spin" or something like that.  I think
it makes sense to continue having the developer/server/traditional
desktop version of Fedora too.  There will likely be cross pollination
between them.

As for the net connection, online desktop is targeted towards people for
whom their computer is already basically a brick without at least a
semi-reliable internet connection.  Personally, if I couldn't get to
gmail, wikipedia, online python docs, really just the web in general for
an extended period of time about all I can do is code on stuff I already
have installed and docs for, which is a pretty specific task.

Online desktop isn't going to require an 100%-reliable connection as
realistically it doesn't exist.  In other words, things don't just fail
if you don't happen to be connected that second. But the world is
clearly moving towards internet mostly everywhere, in the form of
wimax/mobile phone network/citywide wifi, and it makes sense to design
for it.