early-gdm redux ( I am sorry my way is better faster... for a desktop )

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:06:02 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/07, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> > That will probably need some work. I think you'd probably want to have a
> > tab for these nm dispatcher services similar to the xined-based
> > services. If you want to go wild, one could also imagine having a list
> > of system bus dbus services there...
>
> I think the control issue is probably the only note-worthy regression
> that I see with this approach.  I've no qualms with using Dispatcher
> for network-related services, with a couple of caveats.
> 1) basic on/off control  ..exactly on par with xinetd based services
> as you suggest.
>
> 2) what to do we do when NM is turned off and the older sysconfig
> based networking configuration is used. There should be a way to hold
> the service configs for these network services so they are boot-time
> operable (if turned on) in situations where NM isn't being run and the
> legacy sysconfig based networking configs are being used.

I can think of two approaches.

a)  Do this in system-config-services.  Checking NetworkManager and
Dispatcher on makes the Network-Services tab active and disables
"known services" from the init list and enables them in the
Network-Services list.  Disabling these does the reverse of course.

b)  Only have these services in the Network-Services tab or run-level
N for chkconfig and extend /etc/init.d/network to run through the
/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ directory and run the S* services.
This message is a little off because it basically puts partial init
functionality in the network script.  The code should be trivial
though.

Jon