Voting considered harmful (Was: Re: Echo Icon Theme in F10?)

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 23:20:10 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 19:01 +0000, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Well, gnome and kde already look different on that level. Does that
> > confuse greater community?
>
> Not when (default) Gnome icons on Fedora look like (default) Gnome icons
> on Debian and on SuSE.  Same with (default) KDE icons on Fedora and
> such.

Well, try running some KDE applications on Gnome or the other way round.
It will never be perfect, but we can at least have one icons set for
both (I am not implying it must be Echo).

> > Echo is *just another* icon set that is
> > coincidentally developed by some members of the Art Team who'd like to
> > see it as a default icon theme Fedora wide (as opposed to gnome wide or
> > kde wide) when ready for that.
>
> But what problem does it solve?  What doesn't the upstream provide in
> this case, that we are spending effort to "invent here" rather than
> contribute upstream?

Well, practically we aren't inventing anything. Just creating an icon
theme set that uses different design from the upstream defaults. The
problem we are trying to address in echo specifically (i.e. it has
nothing to do with other icon sets) is coverage of both gnome and kde.

> Wasn't that already tried with bluecurve (and failed)?

Technically speaking Echo is modern-looking bluecurve successor. I think
bluecurve failed because it was outdated and failed to "keep up with the
era".

> I'm just trying to get a handle on what the problem is that echo is
> trying to solve.

I don't think that's the right question in case of art. Art is basically
about doing something new, or improving something old, simply said. With
Echo we are doing both - posing ourselves as bluecurve successor, using
same metaphors as gnome or oxygen as much as possible (to not confuse
user), but developing our own style. We are trying to make it default in
Fedora, for one because we think it would improve Fedora looks, second
we think users might profit from consistent icon set throughout whole
distro (not in Fedora 10 yet, since KDE isn't covered enough), third it
is developed by people in Fedora Art Team and fourth, with every new
release of Fedora there are questions why Echo is still not default,
usually accompanied by "prediction" that it will always stay in the
"next time" state ;-)

Martin