Dropping Gimp from the live cd

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:37:43 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 10:29 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> I guess it could be tailored to the conference or to the general
> interests our booth workers have experienced in the booth. I have
> noticed from my 'booth babe' experiences that veyr visual
> demonstrations, though, are very quick & effective and go a long way
> towards making a good impression. Giving a demo of something like puppet
> I think would require a level of expertise/coordination/advance setup on
> the part of the booth worker that would probably not be worth the
> return.
>
> The point wouldn't be to show the full best-of-breed what Fedora can do,
> just a sampling based on what's easily demo-able by our booth workers
> and what makes a good impression easily and quickly.

+1

> I guess this could be achieved in other ways though. Like when we were
> at the FUDcon Berlin booth, Nicu and I created a graphic and made a
> video showing all the steps of the graphic's creation so it could be
> played back as a demonstration of what Fedora can do. Along those lines,
> we could have a set of videos that could be played to give the demos,
> although it would be cool to also have the apps used in the demos
> available for people visiting the booth to play with. ('you saw what we
> did, now it's your turn to try' kind of thing)

oooh... Excellent!  I think a good demo spin would incorporate some of
this kind of media as well.  Then when someone gets their shiny Fedora
USB key home and sits down to do some work on their computer they can
fire up GIMP and replay the video as a step by step tutorial.  Having
both the video and the apps is greater than having each by themselves.

-Toshio