[fedora-java] Try again - photran 3.0

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Tue Aug 2 19:09:14 UTC 2005

Okay, starting up again trying to work on photran 3.0, and looking for
lots of help....

Here is the description from the photran group of how to build.  Now,
this is all done in Eclipse.  I can easily enough use cvs directly to
check out all the source and patch them together.  But I'm not sure how
I should then go about building the package.  Any help appreciated...

Unlike Photran 2.1 and its predecessor(s), Photran 3.0 is built *on top of*
the CDT.  However, there are still a few minor changes that have to be made
to the CDT to get it to support additional languages.  We are hoping the CDT
folks will commit those changes to the CDT proper, but until they do, things
are a bit more complicated for us.

PART I.  Check out the CDT sources from CVS.

1.  In Eclipse, switch to the CVS Repository Exploring perspective.
2.  Right-click the CVS Repositories view; choose New > Repository Location
3.  Enter the following information, then click Finish:
           Host name:         dev.eclipse.org
           Repository path:   /home/tools
           Connection type:   pserver
           Username:          anonymous
           Password:          (no password)
4.  Right-click on :pserver:anonymous at dev.eclipse.org:/home/tools, and
choose
      Refresh Branches...
5.  Select the following, and click OK:
           org.eclipse.cdt-build
           org.eclipse.cdt-core
           org.eclipse.cdt-doc
           org.eclipse.cdt-debug
           org.eclipse.cdt-launch
      When prompted, tell it to Search Deeply.
6.  Expand :pserver:anonymous at dev.eclipse.org:/home/tools,
      and then expand Versions (in the CVS Repositories view)
7.  Under org.eclipse.cdt-build, expand org.eclipse.cdt-build CDT_3_0_RC2
8.  Right click and check out all of the org.eclipse.cdt.* packages
      EXCEPT for the ones ending in "tests" (why bother testing?)
9.  Do the same with org.eclipse.cdt-core, org.eclipse.cdt-debug,
      org.eclipse.cdt-doc, and org.eclipse.cdt-launch
10. You now have the CDT source code.  Make sure it compiles successfully
      (lots of warnings, but no errors).

PART II.  Check out the Photran source and the CDT patches.

11. In Eclipse, switch to the CVS Repository Exploring perspective.
12. Right-click the CVS Repositories view; choose New > Repository Location
13. Enter the following information, then click Finish:
          Host name:         www.photran.org
CHANGED!!!
          Connection type:   extssh
          Username/passwd:   (we gave you this)
14. Expand extssh:username at www.photran.org:/usr/local/photran30,
      then expand HEAD (in the CVS Repositories view)
15. Right-click and check out all of the org.eclipse.fdt projects as well
      as org.eclipse.photran.  DO NOT check out org.eclipse.photran.parser.
      You only need this project if you will be regenerating the parser
from the
      grammar.  (The parser is included in the org.eclipse.fdt.core plugin
      as a JAR file.  This way, the parser does not have to be recompiled
      every time you rebuild Photran.)

The sources will NOT compile at this point; you must complete the
following...

PART III.  Patch the CDT sources

16. Go to a bash prompt.  Change to your Eclipse workspace directory
      (the one containing all of the org.eclipse.cdt, org.eclipse.fdt, and
      org.eclipse.photran projects).
17. Change to the org.eclipse.photran directory.
18. Run ./install
      (Click the first, shift-click the last, right-click, choose Refresh.)

The sources should all compile (albeit with about 640 warnings).

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                   303-415-9701 x222