[fedora-java] Should java-1.4.2-gcj-compat require xerces-j2?

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 13:45:06 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> On Jeu 4 août 2005 15:20, David Walluck wrote:
> > Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > slippy:[~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides jndi-ldap
> > > ldapjdk-4.17-1jpp_2fc
> >
> > OK, thanks, but this still doesn't look required to build tomcat5,
> > but I think that some part of tomcat5 wants an ldap service
> > provider to run.
>
> It's very possible the ldap is only there for compliance with some
> spec, and tomcat code has no use for it.

No, it does use it.  There's a valve that lets you do authentication
using LDAP, or some such thing.

> > Anyway, the build of ldapjdk fails when making the javadocs.
>
> Do we build ldapjdk from sources today ? If so, I'm impressed. The
> mozilla source entanglements where pretty bad last time I looked.

There was a binary jarfile in there last time I looked.

Given that probably nobody uses the LDAP authenticator I'd be tempted
to just strip the dependency from tomcat5 rather than mess about
fixing ldapjdk.

Cheers,
Gary