[fedora-java] Should java-1.4.2-gcj-compat require xerces-j2?

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 13:52:11 UTC 2005

David Walluck wrote:
> Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat.com> wrote:
> > slippy:[~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides jndi-ldap
> > ldapjdk-4.17-1jpp_2fc
>
> OK, thanks, but this still doesn't look required to build tomcat5,
> but I think that some part of tomcat5 wants an ldap service provider
> to run. Anyway, the build of ldapjdk fails when making the javadocs.

It's required to build one class IIRC.  The package in FC4 is old, and
quite possibly dates back to the days when we didn't have a working
javadoc, so we wouldn't have been building it and wouldn't have seen
the error.  One of the avalon-foo packages fails in the same way IIRC.
Anyway, I'm happy to remove the ldapjdk depenency from tomcat5 if
Nicholas is happy for it to be removed upstream.  I already removed
tyrex in Fedora, which is another of these required-for-one-class
things.

> When the tomcat5 build fails it is at line 315 (after patching) of
> the jakarta-tomcat-5 build.xml which runs jasper2 on the jsp
> examples. When the build terminates, generated_web.xml is empty.

I've been getting this error too, I think, but it's a way down my todo
list.  I'll have a look at it now.

Cheers,
Gary