[fedora-java] Should java-1.4.2-gcj-compat require xerces-j2?

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Thu Aug 4 14:12:44 UTC 2005

Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat.com> wrote:

> It's required to build one class IIRC.  The package in FC4 is old, and
> quite possibly dates back to the days when we didn't have a working
> javadoc, so we wouldn't have been building it and wouldn't have seen

I built tomcat5 without having ldapjdk installed. It doesn't seem to be
required
to build anything.  I am in favor of getting rid of the jpackage,
especially due
to the binary jar (if we can't get rid of that). We just need to find out
whether java-gcj-compat should provide jndi-ldap.jar or not. Even if it
doesn't, all we have to do is remove any reference of jndi-ldap from
tomcat5.spec and it should be fine.

As for the ldapjdk javadocs, if you are planning on keeping ldapjdk in
FC, then
I suggest you run the build again to make sure it's still building (or it does
build and I just have bad luck).

>> When the tomcat5 build fails it is at line 315 (after patching) of
>> the jakarta-tomcat-5 build.xml which runs jasper2 on the jsp
>> examples. When the build terminates, generated_web.xml is empty.
>
> I've been getting this error too, I think, but it's a way down my todo
> list.  I'll have a look at it now.

If this error has been there, then how was it built in the first place?
Has FC4
gone through a rebuild process at all? I feel like some packages may have been
bootstrapped in or gotten in at one time when they worked and then stopped
working at a later date. If I am the only one getting this error, I don't know
enough about jasper (or whatever) right now to investigate.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<david at zarb.org>