[fedora-java] Should java-1.4.2-gcj-compat require xerces-j2?

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 14:47:09 UTC 2005

David Walluck wrote:
> As for the ldapjdk javadocs, if you are planning on keeping ldapjdk
> in FC, then I suggest you run the build again to make sure it's
> still building (or it does build and I just have bad luck).

I'll kill it if nobody objects.  There's far more important things
that need fixing.

> > > When the tomcat5 build fails it is at line 315 (after patching)
> > > of the jakarta-tomcat-5 build.xml which runs jasper2 on the jsp
> > > examples. When the build terminates, generated_web.xml is empty.
> >
> > I've been getting this error too, I think, but it's a way down my
> > todo list.  I'll have a look at it now.
>
> If this error has been there, then how was it built in the first
> place?

I guess something regressed in libgcj, gcc-java, eclipse-ecj, or any
of their or tomcat5's dependencies.  Or it could be an early
resolution issue or something similar that appeared because a class
that wasn't native now is. I can't reproduce it locally, so it's not
straightforward to fix.

> Has FC4 gone through a rebuild process at all? I feel like some
> packages may have been bootstrapped in or gotten in at one time
> when they worked and then stopped working at a later date.

I'm not sure if Fedora has mass-rebuilds these days.  Certainly we
used to do it, but even so it'd only catch regressions once per cycle.

> If I am the only one getting this error, I don't know enough about
> jasper (or whatever) right now to investigate.

Bugzilla the details and I'll help you out.

Cheers,
Gary