[fedora-java] Starting Tomcat

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 11:07:04 UTC 2005

Charles Curley wrote:
> I have FC4 as updated, and a slew of Java packages installed in order
> to run tomcat. I get the following error when trying to start it:

> [root at taltos lib]# service tomcat5 start
> Starting tomcat5: lock file found but no process running for pid 11395, continuing
> /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: could not find jta Java extension for this JVM
> /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: All detected jars were not found for this jvm

This is rawhide tomcat5 I'm guessing.  It'll get fixed the next time I
rebuild the tomcat5 rpm.  It doesn't matter if you're using libgcj.

> find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-mindepth affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other arguments.

This is one that I will try and remember to fix.

> I notice that /var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib/[jta].jar ->
> /could/not/find/extension/for/this/jvm, which is a cute way of telling
> me that the symlink is broken. OK, what should this link point to?

/usr/share/java/jta.jar

You need to install the latest geronimo-specs-compat to get it.

> I have installed Sun's jvm via the jpackage proceedure.

You didn't need to ;)

> Do I need Sun's jdk in order to develop servlets?

No, you can do it with gcj.

Cheers,
Gary