[fedora-java] Starting Tomcat

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Aug 22 12:26:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 12:07:04PM +0100, Gary Benson wrote:
> Charles Curley wrote:
> > I have FC4 as updated, and a slew of Java packages installed in order
> > to run tomcat. I get the following error when trying to start it:

> > [root at taltos lib]# service tomcat5 start
> > Starting tomcat5: lock file found but no process running for pid 11395, continuing
> > /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: could not find jta Java extension for this JVM
> > /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: All detected jars were not found for this jvm
>
> This is rawhide tomcat5 I'm guessing.  It'll get fixed the next time I
> rebuild the tomcat5 rpm.  It doesn't matter if you're using libgcj.

Nope, it's what shipped with FC4. tomcat5-5.0.30-5jpp_6fc.

> > find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-mindepth affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other arguments.
>
> This is one that I will try and remember to fix.
>
> > I notice that /var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib/[jta].jar ->
> > /could/not/find/extension/for/this/jvm, which is a cute way of telling
> > me that the symlink is broken. OK, what should this link point to?
>
> /usr/share/java/jta.jar
>
> You need to install the latest geronimo-specs-compat to get it.

Odd that a package that shipped w/ FC4 is dependent on a package that
didn't.

Pulled in & installed those two. "service tomcat5 start" now
works. Looks like the manager is home at
http://taltos.localdomain:8080/manager/html. At
http://taltos.localdomain:8080 I get a white screen of death, which
makes sense as there is nothing in $CATALINA_HOME except the balancer
directory.

> > I have installed Sun's jvm via the jpackage proceedure.
>
> You didn't need to ;)
>
> > Do I need Sun's jdk in order to develop servlets?
>
> No, you can do it with gcj.

Cool. I took it out.

> Cheers,
> Gary