[fedora-java] GNU Classpath distro DevJam

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Mon Aug 22 13:08:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 09:23 -0700, John M. Gabriele wrote:
> This rocks! :)

We hope so :)

> When they refer to standardizing on one package format,
> are they talking about maybe some metapackage based on
> JPP's RPMS that can easily be converted to a .deb?

Yes, it seems in practise the packagers of the various distributions do
agree that JPackage is the common packaging systems to adopt in some way
(most have already adopted something based on it). The differences
between the distributions are mostly on finer details of the standard,
how to adopt/translate the jpackage defined dependencies into
distribution specific package dependencies, how to integrate any
policies/compilation conventions specific to the distro and how to
integrate gcj ahead-of-time compilation, etc.

> Are there going to be any Redhat/Fedora Java devs
> attending?

Although various fedora hackers/packagers said they thought it was
really interesting nobody added their name to the list of interested
people on http://java.debian.net/index.php/DevJam
Please add your name if you are maintaining a package for fedora (or
jpackage, or some other distro) and are interested in attending. Even if
you cannot attend because of the time and place. In that case please add
a little note that you cannot attend because of the time/place, but
would love to attend the hackfest and have lots of ideas for it. If
there are a lot of people interested from the various distros for which
Oldenburg next month is inconvenient then we might want to look at some
other meeting place/date.

If there are enough people listed/interested I also want to setup a
cross-distro mailinglist to discuss the hacking oppertunities for the
DevJam meeting. The idea really is to come together to remove any
immediate common/shared showstoppers in the packaging tools/scripts and
gcj, classpath and kaffe toolchains that are blocking full adoption of
some packages written in the java programming language. And if there is
not enough time to finish the hacking during the event itself to come up
with lists of urgent work items for specific packages.

Cheers,

Mark