[fedora-java] Automating pre-build/checkout steps for eclipse features/plugins?

Robin Green greenrd at presidium.org
Fri Jul 8 01:23:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 11:58 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
>> Phil Muldoon has already packaged EMF, GEF, and VE for our RHDS
>> offerings.  I've CCd him because he thinks that some work will be needed
>> to update these to work with Eclipse 3.1  There are also issues that
>> could bite us with our not-yet-complete swing implementation in Fedora.
>> You two should discuss it.  It would be great if you could shepherd
>> these into Fedora Extras!
>
> Dave Orme, the leader of the VEP project over at eclipse.org, has also
> expressed interest in this. So CC there.
>
> The big thing is to remove the SWING components from VEP. No free
> implementation support for that in Fedora (yet). That would leave SWT.
>
> The other architectural concern is how VEP draws the bean in the editor.
> Basically it starts a remote JVM, draws the widgets in the remote bean,
> then screen scrapes from that JVM and paints them in the editor. Are
> there implications with this relating to GCJ? Maybe with gij this might
> not be an issue.
>
> If I remember correctly, all three projects have associated releng
> plug-ins (this is how I packaged them before). Is this a viable approach
> for Fedora Extras? Should we define a different (jpackage-like?)
> approach here?

Are you asking, should we use the releng "plugins" to build them?
Assuming you mean that, I think we should. Otherwise we're creating
a redundant second build system. JPackage generally uses whatever build
system the upstream project uses - be that ant, maven or whatever.

Could you post (to me, or to the list) the .spec files you have done for
RHDS?
--
Robin