raising Yum's IQ (was: Re: [fedora-java] Re: Fedora Core 5 Wishlist)

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 09:14:07 UTC 2005

Vadim Nasardinov wrote:
> The bottom line is, although the current situation is the best
> solution we could think of, it is not a good solution.  The fact
> of the matter remains that Fedora and JPackage repositories don't
> mesh very well at this time.

Placing the native code in separate rpms will not solve this because
the problem is not that Fedora rpms contain native code and JPackage
ones do not.  The problem is that Fedora and JPackage rpms share the
same namespace.  Ximian had problems with this five years ago, before
they were even called Ximian.  What is really needed is for some way
to tell yum to ignore packages in jpackage.repo that exist already in
fedora.repo.  I doubt it's that simple though.

Cheers,
Gary