[fedora-java] Re: raising Yum's IQ

Vadim Nasardinov vadimn at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 15:24:36 UTC 2005

On Monday 19 September 2005 05:14, Gary Benson wrote:
> Placing the native code in separate rpms will not solve this because
> the problem is not that Fedora rpms contain native code and JPackage
> ones do not.

Everyone agrees at this point that the problem is not solvable at the
RPM level.  The only hope is to move one level up and start looking at
what can be done at the Yum level.

> What is really needed is for some way to tell yum to ignore packages
> in jpackage.repo that exist already in fedora.repo.  I doubt it's
> that simple though.

Some of the possible choices are:

 (a) fedora.repo always trumps jpackage.repo;

 (b) jpackage.repo always trumps fedora.repo;

 (c) the user has a choice of specifying either (a) or (b) as their
     default policy.

     People who use java stuff in FC exclusively with GCJ won't want
     to lose the native bits due to updates coming from jpackage.repo.
     People who use java packages primarily under a proprietary JVM
     will be happy to pull upgrades from jpackage.repo even if it
     means losing the .so bits;

 (d) go wild and make the choice of repos configurable on a
     per-package basis.

Although I don't know how simple or difficult this is going to be, I
doubt it will be much worse than the current situation.  My initial
conservative preference would be (c) with fedora.repo trumping
jpackage.repo by default.