[fedora-java] Re: raising Yum's IQ

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 11:04:31 UTC 2005

David Walluck wrote:
> Gary Benson wrote:
> > ones do not.  The problem is that Fedora and JPackage rpms share
> > the same namespace.  Ximian had problems with this five years ago,
> > before they were even called Ximian.  What is really needed is for
> > some way to tell yum to ignore packages in jpackage.repo that
> > exist already in fedora.repo.  I doubt it's that simple though.
>
> But FC4 was said to be ``100% JPackage compatible''. Why couldn't
> updates be provided through JPackage?

Some issues take time to fix properly.  The correct fix may not be
immediately obvious, or there may be several options that require
discussion in some upstream community.  Wherever possible I will work
around the issue locally so people aren't held up.  There's probably
15-20 such issues in rawhide at the moment.  Replacing Fedora packages
with JPackage ones will lose patches like that.

> Also, if a particular package that *is not* in Fedora requires an
> updated package (an older version of which *is* in Fedora), then one
> loses the ability to upgrade this package from JPackage as well.

Avoiding breakages without inhibiting things like this is difficult.

Cheers,
Gary