[fedora-java] FC6 gcj notes

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Tue Jul 11 13:38:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 10:06 -0700, Anthony Green wrote:
> I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on the list at all, but since
> FC6 will be shipping with GCC 4.1.x, a decision has been made to
> backport all the great GNU Classpath/libgcj work from GCC HEAD into the
> FC6 4.1.x branch. Among other things, this means we'll also get
> gcjwebplugin.

Great! This will be a huge boost in the number of applications that can
be supported on the free stack in FC6 out of the box.

But note that the GNU Classpath on GCC HEAD is some bastard "gui only"
port of an old GNU Classpath CVS version from about a month ago. It has
some really embarrassing bugs in it. We did a lot of testing and fixing
of the graphics layer since then (and at least one really nasty bug was
fixed only this weekend). So you really don't want to ship with what is
in GCC HEAD now. At the minimum a new sync with Classpath CVS should be
done for the graphics layers. We will try to make a new GNU Classpath
snapshot soon (this weekend/next week, but no promises) that has gone
through all the QA procedures. A lot of application smoke testing has
been done in the last week, but at least a full comparision for
regressions against the full Mauve testsuite should be done before we
can be confident about creating a new release.

Cheers,

Mark