[fedora-java] FC6 gcj notes

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Tue Jul 11 13:53:25 UTC 2006

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 10:06 -0700, Anthony Green wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on the list at all, but since
>> FC6 will be shipping with GCC 4.1.x, a decision has been made to
>> backport all the great GNU Classpath/libgcj work from GCC HEAD into the
>> FC6 4.1.x branch. Among other things, this means we'll also get
>> gcjwebplugin.
>
> Great! This will be a huge boost in the number of applications that can
> be supported on the free stack in FC6 out of the box.
>
> But note that the GNU Classpath on GCC HEAD is some bastard "gui only"
> port of an old GNU Classpath CVS version from about a month ago. It has
> some really embarrassing bugs in it. We did a lot of testing and fixing
> of the graphics layer since then (and at least one really nasty bug was
> fixed only this weekend). So you really don't want to ship with what is
> in GCC HEAD now. At the minimum a new sync with Classpath CVS should be
> done for the graphics layers. We will try to make a new GNU Classpath
> snapshot soon (this weekend/next week, but no promises) that has gone
> through all the QA procedures. A lot of application smoke testing has
> been done in the last week, but at least a full comparision for
> regressions against the full Mauve testsuite should be done before we
> can be confident about creating a new release.

Yes, if the schedules work out I'd like to see the new GNU Classpath snapshot
imported to GCJ mainline and the Red Hat 4.1 branch (Rawhide), between FC6test2
and FC6test3.  That said, everything is stalled on the libgcj-bc.so work right
now.  If that isn't done in time we'll be stuck with GCJ 4.1 stock in FC6.

Tom