[fedora-java] gnuxml -> xerces/xalan?

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Feb 6 16:32:08 UTC 2007

Andrew Overholt writes:
 > * Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> [2007-02-06 11:17]:
 > > Andrew Overholt writes:
 > >  > * Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp.org> [2007-02-06 04:15]:
 > >  > > more standards compliant (although I guess that doesn't help if your
 > >  > > application isn't using xml in a compliant way).
 > >  >
 > >  > Yeah, I also find it very hard to track down bugs that are deep within
 > >  > Eclipse or in wacky ant scripts + custom ant tasks.  Also, the lack of
 > >  > debugging still sucks (yes, I know it's being worked on).
 > >
 > > Hey, I've been using the FC6 spin of gdb on Java code and it's great.
 >
 > gdb isn't really a great solution for Eclipse plugins.  It's doable,
 > yes, but a PITA.

OK; I've never tried.  I'm not sure why an Eclipse plugin would be any
different from any other bit of Java code, but I'll take your word for
it.

 > > Optimized code is a pain to debug, but non-optimized code works a
 > > treat.  There are still a few features I'd like to add, of course.
 >
 > Are our RPMs non-optimized?

I hope not!  :-)

If I need to debug an installed RPM for long enough that the weirdness
of debugging optimized code starts to get on my nerves, I'll recompile
the jarfile[s] in question: it's just "gcj -g -shared ... foo.jar -o /lib/foo.jar.so"

Andrew.