[fedora-java] Re: blueMarine and openJDK -- second attempt

Fabrizio Giudici Fabrizio.Giudici at tidalwave.it
Tue Aug 5 16:46:16 UTC 2008

Mark Wielaard <mark at ...> writes:

> Hi Fabrizio,
>
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 07:43 +0000, Fabrizio Giudici wrote:
> > I've just released a snapshot that seems to start and generally work with
> > OpenJDK (but I didn't run all the tests available), even though there are
> > problems. Please refer to the post in blueMarine users' forum for further
> > information: http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/forum/posts/list/1184.page
>
> Thanks so much for making sure bleumarine works out of the box with
> icedtea/openjdk! I looked at the above posting and also found you blog
> at:
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/fabriziogiudici/archive/2008/08/still_problems.html
>
> That last one confused me a little. Because that issue should have been
> fixed months ago:
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2008-April/001806.html
>
> What version of fedora icedtea/openjdk are you using?
> $ java -version
> $ rpm -q java-1.6.0-openjdk
> should give you the exact version strings.

Thank you very much for following up, Mark. I'm using OpenJDK build 1.6.0-b09 -
unfortunately I can't tell which is the output of rpm since I'm testing openjdk
with Ubuntu - I don't have a Fedora box at hand right now.

I was confused too as I saw that one of the bugs has been fixed time ago - I
suspect it could be a similar bug, but slightly different. I'm working to get a
stack trace and post to the issue list at launchpad.

May I ask another thing? I've also run a few performance benchmarks side-by-side
with Sun's JDK 6 on Ubuntu, and OpenJDK seems to be really really slower, at the
point that I think I'm doing something wrong. I'll post in a few hours my
findings on my blog, but in the meantime is there anything I should know, such
as special command line switches etc? AFAIK OpenJDK runs the same HotSpot
compiler than Sun's JDK 6, or am I wrong?

Thanks.