[fedora-java] Eclipse problems.

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sat Jan 12 01:32:35 UTC 2008

I am new here so please bear with me.  I have however played with
eclipse since it's inception and familiar with the older versions but
have not yet caught up with the latest (3.3).

Here are some problems I encountered with the latest Eclipse on F8:

1) Installing updates:

    a) First time I installed update as a normal user, I noticed that updates
        was falling all over itself when it could not write to
        /usr/share/eclipse nor to /usr/lib/eclipse directory due to permission
        errors.  Ok, so I created a group name, added to that group name a
        list of allowable "updaters" and chgrp -R, chmod 775, the above
       directorys. If there is a proper way of doing this please let me know.

    b) I wanted to install all of the 'new stuff', that is BIRT, C/C++, etc.,
        and I quickly discovered that some of the items on the list should
       be avoided, such as 'change log', and 'The Eclipse Project' patches.
       Why these are there, I do not know - but they are sure as heck annoying
       as a newbie if you have no clue.  Hey!  That's me! ;-/  If you wanted
       install 'everything', what is the safe way to go about it and what
       would you choose and what would you avoid?  Are there any other
       'packages' that are not in the updater list that are also available?

    c) I know I did not select 'Eclipse Patches', so why in the heck are these
        RCP patches appearing in my above mentioned directories?  Everytime
        I update for new features or existsing configuration, that annoying
        warning message shows the RCP patch v3.3.1 and warns of an install
        conflicts.  Is there any way to remove these manually?  I tried it via
        'Manage Configuration' dialog and there is no menu uninstall item
        available.  I don't even know if I even have eclipse RCP installed at
        this time.

    d) I noticed from time to time that when in the middle of an installation,
        invariably the network drops and there is an incomplete installation.
        I have had to remove eclipse and start over especially when the
        the configuration is a mess.  Maybe I am going about this in the wrong
        way - but what is your advice?

    e) I was playing around and clicked Help->Welcome toobar menu item,
        and boom!  It killed the eclipse IDE, everytime I tried it. Bug?

Well thanks for bearing with an ignorant idiot like myself, but I'd sure like
some help if anyone is willing.

Thanks-