[fedora-java] Eclipse problems.

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 13:27:44 UTC 2008

Hi,

* Dan Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com> [2008-01-11 20:33]:

> 1) Installing updates:
>
>     a) First time I installed update as a normal user, I noticed that updates
>         was falling all over itself when it could not write to
>         /usr/share/eclipse nor to /usr/lib/eclipse directory due to permission
>         errors.  Ok, so I created a group name, added to that group name a
>         list of allowable "updaters" and chgrp -R, chmod 775, the above
>        directorys. If there is a proper way of doing this please let me know.

We carry a patch that makes this just work.  You should not be prompted
to install into /usr/share but rather it should by default go into
~/.eclipse somewhere.

>     b) I wanted to install all of the 'new stuff', that is BIRT, C/C++, etc.,
>         and I quickly discovered that some of the items on the list should
>        be avoided, such as 'change log', and 'The Eclipse Project' patches.
>        Why these are there, I do not know - but they are sure as heck annoying
>        as a newbie if you have no clue.  Hey!  That's me! ;-/  If you wanted
>        install 'everything', what is the safe way to go about it and what
>        would you choose and what would you avoid?  Are there any other
>        'packages' that are not in the updater list that are also available?

I'm very confused by what you're trying to accomplish here.  Please
elaborate.

>     c) I know I did not select 'Eclipse Patches', so why in the heck are these
>         RCP patches appearing in my above mentioned directories?

What is 'Eclipse Patches'?

>     d) I noticed from time to time that when in the middle of an installation,
>         invariably the network drops and there is an incomplete installation.
>         I have had to remove eclipse and start over especially when the
>         the configuration is a mess.  Maybe I am going about this in the wrong
>         way - but what is your advice?

Are you running Fedora Eclipse or an upstream download?

>     e) I was playing around and clicked Help->Welcome toobar menu item,
>         and boom!  It killed the eclipse IDE, everytime I tried it. Bug?

I've never experienced this.  If you're running Fedora Eclipse, feel
free to file a bug with all the relevant info (which VM, which arch,
output of for f in `rpm -qa | egrep "swt|eclipse"; do rpm -qV $f && echo
$f; done, etc.)

Andrew