Fedora Core 3

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Jul 2 05:01:46 UTC 2004

Well, it's long overdue, but here's something.

Posted at http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/
is a preliminary draft of a schedule for Fedora Core 3, reproduced
below. (Please ignore the GNOME 2.6 typo in the online version;
that will be corrected.)

Obviously, a schedule doesn't say much about what's in it.
Here at Red Hat we're working on various things for Fedora Core 3:

- GCC 3.4 - those that have looked at rawhide will have noticed this
- GNOME 2.8
- KDE 3.3
- SELinux, yet again. This includes a new 'targeted' policy that
    monitors specifc daemons with less intrusion than the strict
    policy in use before.
    https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-selinux-list/2004-May/msg00096.html
- IIIMF - continued evolution of the new input framework
- Indic language support
- Various desktop-related features, including, but not limited to:
  - Pango support for Mozilla
  - Remote desktops using VNC
    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2004-June/msg00007.html
  - Printing improvements
    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-June/msg00370.html
- Evolution 2.0

And, random other stuff, of course.

I'm sure there's other stuff people would like to see. What sorts
of things?

Bill

PRELIMINARY Fedora Core 3 Schedule

   This schedule is preliminary; it may be modified at any time.

   Test users should continue to file bug reports against each test release
   even after we have frozen for the next test release; all feedback is
   helpful.

   | Day | Month | Event                                                    |
   |-----+-------+----------------------------------------------------------|
   | 12  | July  | test1                                                    |
   |-----+-------+----------------------------------------------------------|
   |     |       | String change deadline (data provided)                   |
   | 25  | Aug   | New major version slush (will be exceptions, like GNOME  |
   |     |       | 2.8)                                                     |
   |     |       | test2 devel freeze                                       |
   |-----+-------+----------------------------------------------------------|
   | 6   | Sept  | test2, string build freeze (builds completed)            |
   |-----+-------+----------------------------------------------------------|
   | 16  | Sept  | Translation deadline (data provided)                     |
   |     |       | test3 devel freeze                                       |
   |-----+-------+----------------------------------------------------------|
   | 27  | Sept  | test3, translation build freeze (builds completed)       |
   |     | ...   | Continual freeze, only critical bugs fixed until release |
   | 6   | Oct   | Absolute devel freeze                                    |
   | 13  | Oct   | Export approval, mirror master populated by EOD          |
   | 14  | Oct   | Release to mirrors (morning)                             |
   | 18  | Oct   | Release open, announced                                  |