Need grub interface -- define specifics

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 1 15:58:38 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 11:40 am, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> ndbecker2 at verizon.net wrote:
> > I found it was very difficult to find information on how to repair this.
> > The grub info itself has lots of detail, but is remarkably short on basic
> > howto.
> > Anyway, what Fedora can really use is a way to rerun grub-install,
> > possibly with changed parameters.
> > I am a highly experienced user, but I have to do grub-install just
> > infrequently enough that it's always a major PIA to dig up the info on
> > how to do it.
> >
> >From my understanding, this is caused by differences in BIOS disk number
>
> to Linux disk device mappings.  It's difficult to compensate for this issue
> automatically, regardless of LILO or GRUB.
>
> Maybe there is a way to automatically extract the BIOS disk number and then
> re-create the mapping file.  But when do you do it?  Sometimes people just
> swap disks once, but should it be run automatically then?
>
> Detail what it _should_ do _exactly_ and then I can better tell you if it
> is feasible or not.

Perhaps I missed something in this discussion, but if anaconda can (almost
always) setup grub correctly once, why can't we have an application, perhaps
based on the same code, to redo the process?  If I understand, you are saying
the job is difficult, but it's already been solved once.  Is this not
correct?