building packages for FC2 for external kernel modules

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Jun 1 16:58:48 UTC 2004

Hi,

> >> in 2.6 it makes it really hard to build external modules with
>
> > How so ? Seems to work fine.
>
> If you want to build modules for both i586 and i686, it's a pain,
> unless you're willing to have two different build roots, one with the
> i586 kernel, and one with the i686 kernel. smp kernels can be
> installed alongside with UP kernels, since they report a different
> string from the UP ones with `uname -r', but there's no way to
> distinguish i586 from i686.

Yep, but this is a limitation of the current packaging of the kernel
rpm, not a limitation of the kernel itself.  This is also what the
kernel-module-devel package I made solves.

> I suggested to Arjan to add .i586 and .i686 tags to the kernel version
> string, similar to smp, but he said he was disgusted at the idea.

Well, AFAICT Arjan also thinks that instead of having external module
packages, module code should just be merged in the kernel upstream.  A
valid point of view, but one I don't really share.  Kernel module code
should get ample testing from people that have the hardware but not the
experience, hence my quest for packaging kernel modules.

Thomas

Well baby let me shake it
If I can move it with you will you let me take it