Shrinking/splitting up core Was: Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc...

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Jun 8 22:36:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 06:18:54PM -0400, Willem Riede wrote:
> Because I am talking about the case where e.g. glibc changes in a way that needs
> changes in applications to make them work again. Since with a mini-core most of
> the applications will not be in core, but in extra's, they wouldn't be upgraded
> when you do the core upgrade, and therefore not work afterwards. QED.

That will always happen for third party apps and is unfixable (non US people
can in some cases install software which is prohibited in the USA,
Red Hat cannot ship such software).

So what happens in the actual world is what happens in Debian in this
situation. After feeding your computer update CD's you ask the yum/apt tools
to do the rest of the work.

Alan